GENERAL APPLICATION REQUIREMENTS
PROPERTY VIEWING: Prior to submitting an application for any property available through DeDe’s Rentals, you – or a person representing you – must physically tour and view the specific property in question. We do not rent properties “sight unseen.”
TENANTS: All individuals 18+ intending to reside at the property full – or part-time (“part-time” definition: more than 3 days sequentially or 14 days, sequential or nonsequential, in any twelve-month period) must complete a separate rental application and pay the appropriate application fee.
CO-OCCUPANTS: All individuals under 18 intending to reside at the property full – or part-time must be identified as a “co-occupant” on application.
IDENTIFICATION: A government-issued photo ID will be required with the submission packet; the purpose of this document is strictly to establish continuity of identification relating to Red Flag Rules. Photo identification is of no further influence or consequence in screening or decision-making process.
DOCUMENT UPLOADS: All necessary supporting documentation must be provided at the time of application submission. Applicants lacking necessary documents will be promptly notified; that individual application (and all associated applications) risk being automatically declined until and unless such documentation is received.
OCCUPANCY GUIDELINES: DeDe’s Rentals adheres to federal HUD guideline of “two individuals per bedroom, plus one.” However, we reserve the right to limit occupancy in specific objectively-documented circumstances where physical or code compliance limitations of the property (for example, function of the residence’s septic system) substantially and objectively impact the maximum numbers of individuals allowed to reside in the premises.
FAIR HOUSING: We do not discriminate against any person on the basis of race, color, creed or religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, marital status, military status, handicap, disability, or any other protected status. Any applicant who is fundamentally unable to submit an application online as a direct consequence of their protected class status will be permitted to apply by means of a manual (completed by hand) application. All supplemental documentation as established herein will also be required with manual application submissions. Email addresses are mandatory in order to execute contracts by electronic signature process.
CREDIT REPORTS AND SCORES
APPLICABILITY: credit report will be generated for all 18+ applicants.
AUTO-DECLINES – any ONE applicant declined due to one or more of the following factors will result in decline of ALL applicants applying together.
- Prior eviction within the past seven years.
- Unresolved foreclosure.
- Undischarged bankruptcy.
- Bankruptcy discharged less than 60 months prior to submission.
- Unpaid utility or service accounts (i.e. PGE, Verizon).
- Current ownership: mortgage credit line presently rated R4 or lower.
CCS: COMBINED CREDIT SCORING
- Scores of all applicants will be added, then divided by the number of individual applicants to obtain “CCS” (combined credit score).
- Paid collection to present or previous landlord will subtract 50 from any individual credit report.
- Unpaid collection to the present or previous landlord will subtract 100 points from any individual credit report.
- “No Score” or “No Hit” (or any similar designation that reflects “no credit score established”) will be scored as 600 as long as there are no derogatories reported.
- “NH” or “NS” with non-rental derogatory line items reported will be scored as 575.
- “NH” or “NS” with BOTH non-rental and rental derogatories will be 575 LESS the appropriate additional subtraction(s) above.
- EXCLUSION: Any individual 18-21 whose residency “mimics” in its entirety one or more primary applying Applicants, who has never lived independently of other applying Applicant(s), and whose income (or lack thereof) is not a determining factor in establishing. qualification, will not be included in determining CCS only if they have a “NH” or “NS” with no derogatories.
CCS RATING AND SCORES: Security Deposit Formulation
- “A” RATING – 675+ CCS: minimum security deposit 1.25 x rent rounded up to closest $25 increment (may be increased based on other non-credit factors, ie pet).
- “B” RATING – 625-674 CCS: minimum security deposit 1.5 x rent rounded up to nearest $25 increment (may be increased…).
- “G“ RATING – PRIVATE GUARANTOR: any accepted application requiring a supplemental agreement between Lessor and guarantor for performance of contract will require a minimum security deposit of 1.75 x rent rounded up to the nearest $25 increment (may be increased…).
APPLICABILITY – A national criminal report will be obtained for all 18+ applicants.
AUTO DECLINES – A conviction, within the past seven years, for any of the following categories of felony will be grounds for automatic decline of application. These categories are specifically identified as FELONIES THAT POSE A RISK TO EITHER INDIVIDUAL RESIDENTS OR PROPERTIES within our communities.
- Fraud or Identity Theft.
- Certain Crimes Against Property (i.e. Arson).
- Any applicant identified on OFAC/terrorist database or sex offender registry will be declined outright.
YOUR INCOME: (EMPLOYMENT and/or ASSET VERIFICATION)
FUNDS CLASSIFIED AS “INCOME/ASSETS” MUST BE LEGAL, VERIFIABLE, AND PAID DIRECTLY TO OR CONTROLLED DIRECTLY BY APPLICANT
COMBINED INCOME OR FINANCIAL RESOURCES for all applicants must equal or exceed 36x monthly rent (with potential exception of public or private guarantor contractual support – separate qualification standards apply).
W-2 HOURLY OR SALARIED EMPLOYMENT – Requirements
- Income from temporary staffing agencies will not be considered as continuing income.
- 3 most recent pay stubs identifying employer and year-to-date information.
- Direct report (supervisor) must be objectively verifiable as an employer contact (ie, must be able to be reached via employer phone tree).
- Employer name/location/operational details must be objectively verifiable.
NEW W-2 EMPLOYMENT EITHER NOT YET STARTED OR APPLICANT NOT YET PROVIDED 3 PAYSTUBS – Requirements
- 3 most recent bank statements.
- Verifiable, detailed (position, compensation, hours, start date, etc) employment offer letter from new employer acceptable IF SIGNED BY AUTHORIZED PERSONNEL AND PROVIDED IN A FORMAT THAT CAN BE OBJECTIVELY ESTABLISHED TO BE VALID, i.e. company letterhead.
- Most recent pay stub(s) of new employment, if available, identifying employer and year-to-date information.
- Employer name/physical location/operational details must be objectively verifiable.
“SCHEDULE C” SELF-EMPLOYMENT – Requirements
- 3 most recent bank statements.
- 2 most recent 1040 tax return filings, including “Schedule C” forms (may require supporting 1099 documents).
- a) Reported income is Schedule C, line 31 “Net Profit (or Loss)”.
- Copy of business license, if applicable.
- If 1099 income is claimed as “independent contractor” status for an enterprise not owned by applicant, employer name/physical location/operational details must be objectively verifiable; applicant affiliation with employer must be likewise objectively verifiable.
- If the most recent 1040 is for a period that ended more than 6 months previous, or if 1040 has not yet been filed for new self-employment (see below), applicant must provide YTD “Profit and Loss” report for the full period since the last 1040 end date.
- NOTE: If Schedule C income is identified as NEW self-employment, must be “seasoned” at least six months, and self-employment enterprise (name/location/website/business license etc) be objectively verifiable.
OTHER PERIODIC INCOME SOURCES – Requirements
- Examples: child support, disability, alimony, dividends, pension, etc.
- Must be supported by documentation to substantiate consistency and amount received.
- 3 most recent bank statements.
- May require 2 most recent 1040 tax return filings, including income reported Schedule 1, part 1, line 9 (or previous IRS versions as appropriate), if consistency of receipt is not monthly.
- NOTE: Schedule 1 may also include Schedule C income – this will not be double-counted for qualification purposes.
“WINDFALL” OR OTHER NON-INCOME-GENERATED ASSETS – Requirements
- Examples: Recent home sale proceeds or insurance settlement, beneficiary proceeds
- “Windfall” or non-income assets used for qualification must equal or exceed 36x monthly rent.
- 3 most recent bank statements.
- if not “seasoned,” may require an objective, professionally prepared document or settlement statement showing proceeds to applicant.
- 2 most recent 1040 tax return filings, including schedules and supporting documents for all reported income.
NOTE: if W-2 or other income does not equal or exceed 36x monthly rent, lessor may, at their discretion, accept from applicant proof of other assets sources to make up shortfall. If applicant proposes to submit other another source(s) to make up the shortfall, applicant’s “operating bank accounts” (either checking or savings) will not be accepted as the alternate source of assets, UNLESS such statement(s) reflect above-referenced and substantiated windfall income. Any documentation provided must show the applicant’s ready and unrestricted access to assets being presented to qualify financially.
NOTE: in the event any aforementioned document indicates asset ownership or disbursement to multiple parties including BUT NOT LIMITED TO applicant(s), applicant must provide notarized statement signed by all those named in document, indicating percentage ownership or distribution of assets.
ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS FOR EMPLOYMENT VERIFICATION
- Any additional costs (ie “Work Number” employment verification) are not included in the application fee and must be paid by the applicant.
- Not all properties will consider private guarantors.
- One guarantor per property, bound to performance of all residents.
- Guarantors may be considered to offset an applicant’s LACK of income/credit/financial/residential history, but not to offset NEGATIVE income/credit/financial/residential history (ie residential points in excess of 2 per individual applicant due to delinquency, NSF or lease violations).
- Guarantors may be considered to offset combined credit scores of at least 600.
- Guarantors may be considered to offset lack of independently-verifiable residency history of one or more applicants.
- Guarantors must themselves provide completed application and pay application fee, including proof of verifiable income/assets.
- Guarantor must be able to provide proof of homeownership for primary residence.
- Guarantor credit score must equal or exceed 700.
- Guarantor gross annual income/assets must equal or exceed 60x monthly rent.
- Guarantor documented income-to-debt ratio much equal or exceed 3:2.
- Guarantor need not be a resident of California, but must agree to guarantor agreement identifying California jurisdiction for enforcement of contractual terms and conditions.
- Guarantors will be required to execute guarantor agreement.
- In the event guarantor cannot execute guarantor agreement in person, a notarized (or legal electronic signature) executed agreement will be acceptable. In such instances, guarantor agreement must be received by agent prior to any applicants being permitted to execute rental agreement.
- Legible copy of government-issued photo identification will be required.
PETS AND ASSISTANCE ANIMALS
- Not all landlords or communities will consider pets; those that DO may have restrictions, for example, relating to TYPE of animal (dog/cat), size, number permissible, etc.
- “Assistance animal” is a classification which encompasses multiple terms, also identified as service, therapy, companion, or emotional support animals. Such animals are not classified as pets, and are not disallowed even if the landlord or community otherwise prohibits animals on premises.
- We use a third-party pet policy service. ALL APPLICANTS must create a “tenant-only” or a pet/animal profile. Applicants should please go to this link: https://dedesrentals.petscreening.com.
- An additional screening fee may apply.
- Blanket prohibitions on certain breeds apply: these breeds include, but are not limited to: Akita, Cane Corso, Chow, Doberman, German Shepherd, Husky, Malamute, Mastiff, Pit Bull/most ”Bully” mixes, Presa Canario, Rottweiler, Staffordshire Terrier, or Wolf/Wolf Hybrid/Wolf Dogs.
- Security deposit may be increased based upon results of “PetScreening” profile.
- Security deposit will NOT be increased for assistance animal(s).
RESIDENCY FINANCIAL AND PERFORMANCE QUALIFICATIONS
- Applicants who most recently have been homeowners must be able to prove ownership via objective reports and documents; proof of mortgage payment (if applicable) must be able to be substantiated via credit report; proof of property ownership must be able to be substantiated via title company, county assessors records or similar database.
- Applicants who retain ownership of residence identified as present or prior rental must provide documentation to independently establish that said residence is being repurposed (executed rental agreement, sale listing agreement, good faith deposit to hold, etc).
- Please provide your PRESENT residential location – that address you identify as your primary current residence, even if no rent or mortgage is being paid.
- If the present residence indicated has not been your primary residence for the past three years, please provide additional information as necessary. Provide information on three years’ residential history. Include any addresses you’ve occupied as your primary residence, even if no rent or mortgage was paid or if the housing was classified as a “temporary” situation. Please do not allow any gaps in documented residency history. Gaps may be a reason to decline an application.
Please provide the following as appropriate:
DOCUMENTS REQUIRED WITH APPLICATION SUBMISSION
- A government-issued photo ID will be required with the submission packet; the purpose of this document is strictly to establish continuity of identification relating to Red Flag Rules. Once used for this purpose, photo identifications are of no further influence in the decision-making process.
- Proof of income as established in “Your Income” (ie: paystub, W-2, 1040, Schedule C, business license, bank statements, etc).
- Proof of financial resources as established in “Your Income: Other Active or Passive Sources” (et al) above.
- If applicable, as established in “Where You’ve Lived”, any applicant who is the owner or lessee of a residence they are nominally relocating FROM must be able to substantiate and document plans for that property, indicating their unequivocal relinquishment of occupancy.
- Clear, identifiable photographs of any animals intended to be considered in association with this application.
- Proper documentation for any ESA or Service Animal to be considered in association with this application.
- “Declaration of Substitute Viewing of Property” as appropriate.
APPLICATIONS MISSING SUBSTANTIAL INFORMATION – INCLUDING THREE YEARS’ PRIOR RESIDENCY AND/OR REQUESTED DOCUMENTATION – MAY BE AUTOMATICALLY INACTIVATED, ALONG WITH ANY OTHER APPLICATIONS SUBMITTED IN TANDEM. IF THIS OCCURS, APPLICATION FEES WILL BE AUTOMATICALLY REMITTED BACK TO APPLICANTS, LESS A $5 PLATFORM PROCESSING FEE ASSESSED BY OUR ONLINE APPLICATION SERVICER. DEDE’S DOES NOT BENEFIT IN ANY WAY FROM PROCESSING FEES COLLECTED OR WITHHELD.
IT IS DEDE’S RENTALS POLICY TO OFFER ANY AVAILABLE RENTAL PROPERTY TO THE FIRST QUALIFIED APPLICANT (OR GROUP OF APPLICANTS) WHO HAVE SUBMITTED A FULL AND COMPLETE APPLICATION (WITH ALL DATA AND SUPPORTING DOCUMENTS), AND FOR WHOM NECESSARY INFORMATION CAN BE AFFIRMATIVELY AND INDEPENDENTLY VERIFIED. WE CANNOT GUARANTEE THAT ANY PROPERTY WILL STILL BE AVAILABLE AT THE TIME YOU ATTEMPT TO SUBMIT AN APPLICATION.
IF YOUR SUBMITTED APPLICATION IS APPROVED
a) “DEPOSIT TO HOLD” – A COMMITMENT TO RENT THE PROPERTY: Under most circumstances, an accepted applicant will be required to provide the agent the full balance due, no more than one business day after notification of application approval. Applicants will also be required to execute a transitional “Deposit to Hold” agreement, establishing the remaining steps involved in the contract execution/move-in process. Execution of “Deposit to Hold” by any one individual as representative of multiple individuals who are applying to rent together will be binding on the entire group. By negotiated agreement between the lessor and applicant, the Deposit to Hold process may be bypassed by the timely payment for and execution of a proper rental contract. Even if an applicant has been informed of acceptance, the property in question remains available for other interested parties to view and apply for until suitable applicant commitment to rent has been executed.
b) SECURITY DEPOSIT: Combined Credit Score (CCS) and security deposit amounts.
- “A” RATING – 675+ CCS: minimum security deposit 1.25 x rent rounded up to the closest $25 increment (may be increased based on other non-credit factors, i.e. pet).
- “B” RATING – 625-674 CCS: minimum security deposit 1.5 x rent rounded up to nearest $25 increment (may be increased…).
- “G“ RATING – GUARANTOR: any accepted application requiring a supplemental agreement between Lessor and any private or public guarantor for performance of contract will require a minimum security deposit of 1.75 x rent rounded up to nearest $25 increment (may be increased…).
Increased deposits – for example, for a pet – are not categorized separately, and are instead classified as an increase to the security deposit itself. If any cumulative aggregate total of security deposit components exceeds 2x rent for an unfurnished property, applicant(s) will be declined.
c) EXECUTION OF RENTAL CONTRACT: Agent will coordinate with applicant to schedule contract signing. Typically, contract signing is scheduled as close to intended move-in date as practical. If multiple applicants are signing the contract, all outstanding balances due (rent, prorated rent, security deposit, etc.) must be paid before the FIRST applicant desiring to sign will be allowed to execute the contract. After the LAST applicant has executed the contract (even if that is on another date), agent for owner will countersign. Thereafter, on or before contract commencement date, applicant(s) will be granted access to the premises and be classified as tenant(s).
d)ADDITIONAL DOCUMENTS NEEDED PRIOR TO OR AT THE TIME OF CONTRACT EXECUTION: Applicants may be required to provide additional documents at the time of or prior to contract execution, which may include proof of utility transfer, rental insurance binder, etc. Failure to provide any valid, necessary and requested documentation in a timely manner may delay or void the contract execution process.
e) RENTAL CONTRACT REVIEW: Each rental contract is customized, specific to the property and tenants involved, and is created only after approval of applicant(s). Accordingly, it may be impractical to review the exact construct of any rental agreement substantially in advance of contract execution. However, a sample rental agreement, indicative of the typical terms and conditions of most tenancies, is available to any interested individual upon request.
IF YOUR APPLICATION IS NOT APPROVED
a) COMMON REASONS FOR NON-APPROVAL OF APPLICATION: Applications may be declined for a variety of reasons including insufficient reference history (either residency or employment), inability to adequately verify references, delinquent rent payments reported by present or previous housing providers, behavioral or contract compliance issues reported by present or previous housing providers, bankruptcies not discharged or dismissed within the noted time period, combined credit scores below 625, collections from housing providers or utilities, criminal records, evictions, non-approved pets, or unqualified co-applicants.
b) “BEHAVIORAL QUALIFICATION”: Agent will decline any applicant who, at any point in the application process, exhibits behavior that is evasive, inconsistent, abusive, harassing, or combative toward agent or lessor or whose behavior gives agent and/or lessor cause to believe that applicant cannot or will not comply with a proffered rental agreement or follow the expected rules of tenancy.
c) COMMUNICATIONS FROM AGENT: In the event an application is not accepted, the applicant will be notified via phone and in writing of the general reason(s) why their application was not accepted for the property in question.
d) REAPPLYING FOR OTHER UNITS USING EXISTENT APPLICATION: Applicants may reapply, using the same application data and application fee, for any other properties offered through agent for a period of sixty days after their initial application submission. Application screening criteria are consistent, an applicant declined for one property may be declined for other properties for the same reason as previously reported.
e) APPLICANT’S ACCESS TO CREDIT REPORT(S) GENERATED BY AGENT: Due to restrictions imposed by the Fair Credit Reporting Act, Agent may not provide copies of credit reports by either mail or email. Agent can likewise not provide any individual’s confidential information to another person, even if related by marriage or blood. Any Applicant who desires a copy of their credit report must request that documentation IN PERSON, and must provide a government-issued photo ID to verify identity.
Each $40 application fee is used to pay for the following:
- $5.00 non-refundable application processing fee.
- $17.00 for Experian credit and criminal report.
- $15.00 employee labor costs.
- $3.00 “soft costs” including utilities, software and other expenses.
- Reversed or NSF application fees will be pursued for collection per California Civil Code Section 1719.
We're Here To Help!
If you are in need of property management services, looking for a rental property, or would like to learn more about DeDe’s Rentals and how we can help you, please contact us today!
1311-A West Steele Lane
Santa Rosa, CA 95403
Monday - Friday 9:00am to 5:00pm
Closed: 12:30pm - 1:00pm for Lunch